Here's what to expect and where to watch Apple's big launch event
By Vlad Savov on September 9, 2014 08:00 am
Apple's September 9th event has been described as historic before it's even started. To match the great hype, the Cupertino company has booked a larger venue than usual and supplemented its capacity with a mysterious three-story structure. The elaborate buildup is for the launch of a new iPhone (or two), plus there's the widely anticipated announcement of a long-rumored iWatch and the tantalizing "wish we could say more" tagline from Apple itself.
The iPhone 6 is expected to come in two variants: a 4.7-inch model that would feature a sapphire glass display and a larger 5.5-inch version that may end up being released a few months after the first. Multiple iPhone 6 dummies and even one functional device have leaked onto the web, demonstrating a curvier back, sides, and front on the new, thinner iPhones. The power button appears to have moved from the top to the side of the handset for the first time.
More important than the hardware changes in the iPhone 6 will be the upgrade to Apple's iOS 8, the biggest update to the company's mobile operating system since the introduction of the App Store back in 2008. A bevy of changes and functionality improvements promise to turn the new handsets into your health data center, your remote control for home appliances, and even your mobile wallet for making purchases on the move.
NFC wireless connectivity is just one of a number of radios and sensors expected to be built into the rumored iWatch. Much like the Android Wear smartwatches already on sale from the likes of LG and Motorola, the iWatch will make health tracking a priority, though that NFC connection — which is also expected to figure in the new iPhones — could make it a candidate for performing swift mobile payments as well.
To keep right up to the date with happenings at Apple's event, here are the best ways to watch, read, and learn about the company's announcements as they happen.
How to watch
Starting time: San Francisco: 10AM / New York: 1PM / London: 6PM / Berlin 7PM / Moscow: 9PM / Beijing: 1AM (Sept. 10) / Tokyo: 2AM (Sept. 10) / Sydney 3AM (Sept. 10).
Live blog: Tune in to The Verge live blog for up-to-the-second updates, commentary, and pictures directly from the venue.
Live streaming: Apple's live stream is available via a dedicated channel on the Apple TV set-top box or the Safari browser on OS X (10.6.8 and above) and iOS devices (iOS 6 and above). Click on the link to watch the Live Event http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/
Live tweeting: Follow @Verge on Twitter for the latest headlines and specs as they emerge.
Post-event analysis: The Verge Live provides instant recap and analysis of all the news, brought to you by Chris Ziegler and Ross Miller. --- The Verge
•The Apple Live Event started at exactly 10am Pacific Time and 1 am Philippine time
• 1:06 am PH Time This day is important day in Apple's History
• 1:08 am PH Time - "Today, we are pleased to announce the biggest advancement in iPhone."
• 1:10 am PH Time - iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The best iPhones we've ever made.
• 1:10 am PH Time - iPhone 6 has continous seamless design. (There are no distinct edges. The cover glass curves around the sides to meet the anodolized aluminun enclosure.
• 1:11 am PH Time - Both iPhone 6 models feature a new Retida HD Display
- These displays have full sRGB wide color gamut
- Dual-domain pixels on the photo-aligned IPS display give you a wider angle of view.
• 1:12 am PH Time - These are the most beautiful displays on iPhone. And the best displays in the industry.
• 1:12 am PH Time - iPhone 6 has a 4.7 inch display. IPhone 6 Plus has a 5.5-inch display.
• 1:13 am PH Time - These are the thinnest iPhones ever made.
- iPhone 6 is merely 6.9 mm. iPhone 6 Plus is just a smidge more at 7.1 mm.
1:16 am PH Time - now there are more than 1.3 million apps available for iPhone.
1:18 am PH Time - iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are powered by the Apple - designed A8 chip
1:19 am PH Time - The A8 chip has up to 25% faster processing power and up to 50% faster graphics.
1:24 Am PH Time - "We are so thrilled about the performance of iPhone 6 and Metal." - Stephan Sherman
1:27 am PH Time - The Health App in iOS 8.
- iPhone 6 has faster LTE tjan iPhone 5S. It also has more LTe bands than any other smartphone for better roaming.
1:28 am PH Time - With 802.11ac, iphone 6 Wi-Fi speeds are up to three times faster than iPhone 5s.
1:29 am PH Time - iPhone 6 has an 8MP isight camera
1:34 am PH Time - We've made incredible advances in video. Starting with a new Apple designed video encoder.